Physicians Insurance A Mutual Company has been providing professional liability solutions to physicians, physician groups, and hospitals for more than four decades and is the largest insurer of physicians and rural critical-access hospitals in the Pacific Northwest. The company also provides excess, reinsurance, provider excess, health plan reinsurance, and employer medical stop-loss solutions. Insurance offerings are paired with risk management, claims, litigation peer support, and legal defense services which embody the company’s commitment to providing the strongest possible protection for policyholders and rigorously defending the practice of quality medicine. Through MedChoice, a risk retention group, Physicians Insurance is expanding its offerings strategically nationwide. Both Physicians Insurance and MedChoice are rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best.
We are currently seeking an accounting professional who is proactive, driven and collaborative.
The Associate Accountant is primarily responsible for the accounts payable function. This includes the weekly AP Run (checks and ACH), vendor management, 1099 compliance, and annual filing, maintaining AP workflows in multiple systems, managing the company credit card program, voids processing and aged checks resolution. This position is also responsible for Fixed Asset schedules, AP-related Journal Entries and Balance Sheet Reconciliations, internal and external audit support, some journal entries, ad hoc reports both for AP and general accounting related.
- Prepare weekly General AP and Claims AP Runs. Assure accuracy of all coding, adequacy/auditability of payment support, verify vendor addresses are current and proper signoffs executed.
- Support staff with invoice preparation and processing through training and maintaining documentation.
- Process Board and Committee member payments and reimbursements.
- Maintain and process 1099, ensuring accuracy and compliance.
- Review and validate Concur reimbursement requests. This includes staff training on the Concur system and user account maintenance, including approval workflows.
- Oversee company credit card program.
- Process ACH and wire transfers, including maintaining current vendor ACH support. Support ACH/electronic payment growth adoption.
- Prepare routine monthly journal entries and ad hoc JE requests in support of AP-related Balance Sheet Reconciliations, including prepaids, leases, and fixed assets.
- Interpret and apply accounting policies, rules, and regulations to ensure compliance with applicable standards.
- Partner with the Finance Operations Team to maintain, update, and develop process documentation of Desktop Procedures related to job functions as current.
- Manage vendor communication as the AP inbox lead.
- Collaborate with IT in testing environments for software updates/upgrades.
- Cross-train in Accounts Receivable, Cash Management, and other operational duties and/or responsibilities to provide backup coverage in the Finance Department as needed.
- Maintain best practices yet pursue recommendations to implement new innovative and integrated payment processes.
- Perform other duties and/or responsibilities as required.
- BA in Accounting, Business, Finance, or equivalent work experience.
- 2+ years of experience in accounting with 1 year of experience with full-cycle AP required.
- Demonstrated strong technical ability to work with Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, Outlook) and ERP accounting software. Ability and interest to grow technical software skills while seeking efficiency improvements.
- 1099 processing experience, legal or medical environments helpful but not required.
- Excellent time management and prioritization skills.
- Excellent analytical and detail-oriented skills.
- Demonstrate commitment to customer service, quality, and working in a growth mindset-oriented collaborative team environment.
- Concur or other Credit Card expense reporting system management experience helpful.
- Ability to identify issues and suggest future enhancements.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills, including internal and external email communication.
To apply for this position at Physicians Insurance, please send us a resume at email@example.com.
The salary range for this position is $56,900 to $84,800. Starting salary is determined by several factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. This position is also eligible for an annual company bonus at an incentive target level of 5%.
We also offer a comprehensive benefits program, including a generous retirement program and Paid Time Off. Please visit www.phyins.com/careers for detailed benefit descriptions.
At Physicians Insurance, you’ll find an exceptional hybrid work environment and the opportunity to work for an industry leader whose programs have a positive impact on insurance and healthcare.
OUR PURPOSE: To protect, defend, and support our Members.
People-First - we treat everyone with respect and empathy.
Expertise - we strive to be the best at what we do.
Commitment - as a mutual company, we are accountable and dedicated to our Members and to each other.