Physicians Insurance A Mutual Company provides traditional, first-dollar medical professional liability insurance, medical stop loss, provider excess, and reinsurance coverage to more than 7,500 physicians, practices, corporations, and hospitals in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and Wyoming. Through its subsidiaries, the company also provides alternative risk financing vehicles and captive management with corresponding risk-management consulting, continuing medical education, and claims administration services. Founded in 1981, Physicians Insurance has grown to be the largest locally-based insurer of physicians in its region, and is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company. Physicians Insurance maintains corporate headquarters in Seattle, with regional and subsidiary offices nationwide. We are proud to have a long history of excellent operating results and a commitment to our policyholders, our employees, and the communities we serve. We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Accountant.
The Accountant is responsible for a variety of accounting tasks to support the department and company. This position also serves as a professional resource on accounting, financial reporting, and other accounting matters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for preparing accurate and timely financial statement reporting for SAP, tax and other regulatory reporting.
- Maintains financial control by preparing timely and accurate account reconciliations including reviewing and analyzing accounting entries posted to the general ledger and other sub-ledgers to ensure proper recording of assets, liabilities, revenue, expenses and/or equity. Identifies outstanding issues and resolves through independent analysis, research and follow-up.
- Performs Investment Accounting including handling entries related to purchases, sales, reconciliations in accordance with SAP.
- Develops and maintains the accounting related to premium and reinsurance development.
- Assists with Internal and external audits and year end footnote disclosures.
- Supports management and other activities assigned, which may include ad hoc projects, analysis and process improvements.
- Develops and maintains working relationships within the Finance/Accounting department and operational departments.
- 4-year college or university degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years’ experience in accounting at a professional level, including general ledger, journal entries, account reconciliation, and financial statements.
- Ability to independently research and analyze a wide variety of information to solve problems, exercise excellent judgment, and manage multiple projects and adhere to deadlines.
- Knowledge of statutory insurance reporting principles a plus
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- Demonstrated technical ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Dynamics, Great Plains, or other similar ERP systems
- Ability to independently develop process improvements and deliverables from general direction
- Strong analytic and detail-oriented skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to act with tact and diplomacy to effectively deal with staff at all levels, including top management
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to lift or move up to 40 pounds