Physicians Insurance A Mutual Company provides traditional, first-dollar medical professional liability insurance, medical stop loss, provider excess, and reinsurance coverage to more than 8,500 physicians, practices, corporations, and hospitals in the Pacific Northwest and other states. Through its subsidiaries, the company also provides alternative risk financing vehicles, claims administration services and other insurance services. Founded in 1981, Physicians Insurance has grown to be the largest locally based insurer of physicians in its region and is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company. Physicians Insurance maintains corporate headquarters in Seattle, with a regional office in Spokane and remote offices in other states. We are proud to have a long history of excellent operating results and a commitment to our policyholders, our employees, and the communities we serve. We currently have an exciting opportunity for a Senior Underwriter.
We are looking for a self-motivated, service-oriented professional who enjoys problem analysis.
The Senior Underwriter is primarily responsible for the selection and pricing of risk, both for complex new business and at renewal, including in-depth review of customer needs and the ability to apply their knowledge of policy, rating programs and amendatory endorsements to provide appropriate coverage at the appropriate price. This position works with varying stakeholders internally and externally, including prospective members and brokers.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs technical underwriting for complex accounts, which includes analysis of loss information, investigating and reviewing or making approval/denial decisions, reviewing and assessing coverage needs or preparing endorsements.
- Performs company policy services, including correspondence, reviewing letters on information and policy interpretation, and reviewing and/or developing policy endorsements.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of underwriting policies, coverages, rules, rates and forms and underwriting guidelines, as well as competitors’ policies and rates to actively participate in suggesting modifications, new policies, or programs.
- Produces an underwriting profit that enhances policyholder surplus allowing the company to better serve its policyholders and the physician community of the territories that we serve.
- Mentors and trains less experienced Underwriters.
- Communicates with physicians, clinic managers, state medical association staff, hospital personnel and administrators, insurance brokers and agents. This includes gathering necessary policy information, advising and counseling on denials and endorsements.
- A 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
- 6+ years of minimum professional liability desk underwriting experience with a history of increasing responsibility and authority. Knowledge of hospital/facility or other non-medical lines of business, such as Directors and Officers Liability, Employment Practices Liability, Cyber Liability, or General Liability are strongly desired.
- Demonstrated knowledge of underwriting principles and insurance policies
- Strong written communication skills with the ability to provide concise reports, referrals and summaries to senior management
- Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to present effectively to large or small groups.
- Demonstrated technical ability to work with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to identify, analyze, and solve problems as well as adept quickly to change
- Excellent planning, time management, and prioritization skills.
- Strong commitment to customer service, quality, and working in a collaborative team environment.