The Senior Underwriter is primarily responsible for the risk selection, appropriate renewal pricing, and new business that includes small, medium, and large medical groups, hospitals, community health centers, hospital excess, and various programs. This position works with varying stakeholders internally and externally, including prospective members and broker partners.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Performs technical underwriting for renewal and new business accounts, which includes claims history analysis, investigating and reviewing exposure information, making, and communicating approval/denial decisions, reviewing and assessing coverage needs, or drafting endorsements.
- Performs company policy services, including various correspondence with members and broker partners, policy document review, and drafting policy endorsements.
- Develops and maintains a working knowledge of underwriting guidelines, policy types, coverages, rules, rates, and forms, as well as competitors’ policies and rates to actively participate in suggesting modifications, new policies, or programs
- Produces loss ratio that aligns with the Company’s strategic goals
- Maintains and enhances relationship with the broker partners with consistent communication and travel to meet in person
- Organizes and leads onboarding calls, renewal, and new business meetings with current and future members
- Attends various conferences such as PLUS and MPL Association underwriting workshops to represent the company’s Underwriting department
- Collaborates with other internal departments to provide comprehensive underwriting solutions
- Respond to underwriting inquires timely within the Company’s service standards
- Performs other duties and responsibilities as required
A 4-year college degree or equivalent work experience.
6+ years of minimum professional liability desk underwriting experience with a history of increasing responsibility and authority. Knowledge of hospital liability, including excess and strong expertise in physician medical professional liability, including large groups.
Demonstrated knowledge of underwriting principles and insurance policies
Strong written communication skills with the ability to provide concise reports, referrals, and summaries to senior management
Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to present effectively to large or small groups.
Demonstrates technical ability to work with Microsoft Office
Ability to identify, analyze, and solve problems as well as adapt quickly to change.
Excellent planning, time management, and prioritization skills.
Strong commitment to customer service, quality, and working in a collaborative team environment.
Ability to think strategically and creatively.
Willingness to lead projects that improve efficiency and service deliverables.
To apply for this position at Physicians Insurance, please send us a resume at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The salary range for this position is $94,800 to $152,300. Starting salary is determined by several factors, including job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. This position is also eligible for an annual company bonus at an incentive target level of 10%.
At Physicians Insurance, you’ll find an exceptional work environment, an impressive benefits package, and the opportunity to work for an industry leader whose programs positively impact insurance and healthcare.
We also offer a comprehensive benefits program, including a generous retirement program and Paid Time Off. Please visit www.phyins.com/careers for detailed benefit descriptions.
OUR PURPOSE To protect, defend, and support our Members.
People-First - we treat everyone with respect and empathy.
Expertise - we strive to be the best at what we do.
Commitment - as a mutual company, we are accountable and dedicated to our Members and to each other.