Physicians Insurance A Mutual Company provides traditional, first-dollar medical professional liability insurance, medical stop loss, provider excess, and reinsurance coverage to more than 7,500 physicians, practices, corporations, and hospitals in Washington, Idaho, Oregon, and Wyoming. Through its subsidiaries, the company also provides alternative risk financing vehicles and captive management with corresponding risk-management consulting, continuing medical education, and claims administration services. Founded in 1981, Physicians Insurance has grown to be the largest locally-based insurer of physicians in its region, and is rated A- (Excellent) by A.M. Best Company. Physicians Insurance maintains corporate headquarters in Seattle, with regional and subsidiary offices in Spokane, WA, Portland, OR, Milton, VT, and Orlando, FL. We are proud to have a long history of excellent operating results and a commitment to our policyholders, our employees, and the communities we serve. We currently have an exciting opportunity for an Accountant.
At Physicians Insurance, you’ll find an exceptional work environment, an impressive benefits package, and the opportunity to work for an industry leader whose programs have a positive impact on the practice of medicine and patient safety.
The Accountant is responsible for a variety of accounting tasks to support the department and company. This position also serves as a professional and administrative resource on accounting, financial reporting, and other accounting matters.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to the following:
- Responsible for preparing accurate and timely financial statement reporting for SAP, tax and other regulatory reporting.
- Maintains financial control by preparing timely and accurate account reconciliations including reviewing and analyzing accounting entries posted to the general ledger and other sub-ledgers to ensure proper recording of assets, liabilities, revenue, expenses and/or equity. Identifies outstanding issues and resolves through independent analysis, research and follow-up.
- Performs Investment Accounting including handling entries related to purchases, sales, reconciliations in accordance with SAP.
- Develops and maintains the accounting related to premium and reinsurance development.
- Assists with Internal and external audits and year end footnote disclosures.
- Supports management and other activities assigned, which may include ad hoc projects, analysis and process improvements.
- Develops and maintains working relationships within the Finance/Accounting department and operational departments.
- 4-year college or university degree in Accounting or Finance
- 3+ years insurance accounting experience; financial reporting experience preferred
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) preferred
- Demonstrated knowledge of statutory insurance reporting principles
- Strong analytic and detail-oriented skills
- Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to act with tact and diplomacy to effectively deal with staff at all levels, including top management
- Ability to handle a variety of tasks effectively and efficiently
- Ability to work independently and balance multiple projects and processes simultaneously under strict deadlines
- Demonstrated technical ability to work with Microsoft Office Suite, Microsoft Dynamics, Great Plains, or other similar ERP systems
- Ability to work in a collaborative team environment
- Ability to lift or move up to 40 pounds
To apply for this position at Physicians Insurance, please send us a resume at email@example.com.
Benefits and Perks
We match 100% of your Traditional and Roth 401(k) contributions, up to 6.6%. The Money Purchase Plan is fully funded by us and provides an additional 10% of your compensation for your retirement.
You can deduct funds pre-tax from your paycheck to pay for dependent child care, as well as for medical expenses through FSA and HSA health accounts. This reduces your taxable income, which keeps more of your earnings in the bank.
We provide medical, dental, and vision insurance, with generous employer-subsidized premiums.
Employees are eligible for an annual company bonus, based on company performance and individual results.
We offer four weeks of 100% paid time off for mothers, fathers, and adoptive parents - in addition to the weeks of medical leave that our employed mothers receive through our Salary Continuation plan.
We subsidize ORCA passes and offer pre-tax parking reimbursement up to the IRS allowable amount, to make your daily commute a bit better.
We match your charitable donations up to $1,500 for company-sponsored campaigns, plus, we participate in United Way’s annual Day of Caring.
We pay 100% for Life and Accidental Death and Dismemberment Insurance, as well as for Disability Insurance for our employees in case of sudden illness or injury.
We reimburse approved, job-related courses at the IRS tax-exempt maximum - up to $5,250 per year. Plus, reimbursements are available for certain professional designations!